Definitions, characteristics and applications
There are various types of cookies, depending on their characteristics and functions, and they may remain on the user's computer for different periods of time: session cookies, which are automatically deleted when the browser is closed; persistent cookies, which remain on the user's equipment until a pre-determined expiry date.
In particular, technical cookies, i.e. those used for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communication network, or to the extent strictly necessary to provide a service explicitly requested by the user, do not require such consent. In other words, these are cookies that are essential for the operation of the site or necessary to perform activities requested by the user.
- analytics cookies where used directly by the site operator to collect information, in aggregate form, on the number of users and how they visit the site
- navigation or session cookies (for authentication purposes)
- functionality cookies, which allow the user to navigate according to a number of selected criteria (e.g. language, products selected for purchase) in order to improve the service provided to the user.
Another type are profiling cookies, which are used to trace specific actions or behavioural patterns recurring in the use of the offered functions back to specific, identified or identifiable subjects, in order to group the various profiles within homogeneous clusters of different sizes, so that targeted advertising messages can be sent, i.e. in line with the preferences expressed by the user while browsing the internet.
Profiling cookies require the user's prior consent to their activation (article 6 paragraph 1 letter a) of EU Regulation No. 679/2016).
Types of cookies used by the site and possibility of (de-)selection
The site uses the following cookies which can be selected and de-selected via the cookie management banner:
- Navigation or session technical cookies: strictly necessary for the operation of the site or to enable you to take advantage of the content and services requested.
- Functionality cookies: used to enable specific website features and selected criteria (e.g. language) in order to improve the service provided.
- Profiling cookies: aimed at creating, on the basis of consent (article 6 paragraph 1 letter a) of EU Regulation no. 679/2016), profiles relating to the user and used in order to send advertising messages in line with the preferences expressed by the user during web browsing.
- Third-party cookies: cookies from sites or web servers other than the Controller's used for purposes specific to those third parties. Please note that these third parties, listed with the relevant links to their privacy policies, are typically autonomous data controllers of the data collected through the cookies they serve; therefore, you should refer to their personal data processing policies, disclosures and consent forms (selection and de-selection of the respective cookies), as specified in the aforementioned Measure. With regard to third parties who send cookies via our website, we provide links to their respective privacy notices. As mentioned above, these third parties are responsible for providing the information and collecting your consent, as required by the aforementioned provision. This responsibility applies not only to the cookies that the third party sends directly, but also to any additional cookies that are sent via our website as a result of the third party's use of services. The Data Controller has no control over these cookies, which are sent by service providers of the aforementioned third parties, and does not know their characteristics or purpose.
For the sake of completeness, it should also be noted that the Data Controller does its utmost to track cookies on its site. These are updated on a regular basis in the website information, where transparency is given about the cookies directly sent by the Controller and their purpose.
Users have the option of blocking (in whole or in part) the cookies on the website through the specific functions of their browser. However, we would like to inform you that if you do not authorise technical cookies, you may not be able to use the site, view its contents and use its services. Inhibiting functionality cookies may result in certain services or features of the site not being available or not working properly and you may be required to change or manually enter certain information or preferences each time you visit the site.
The choices you make regarding the site's cookies will also be recorded in a cookie. However, this cookie may not function properly under certain circumstances. In such cases, we recommend that you delete unwanted cookies and inhibit their use through your browser functionality.
Your cookie preferences will need to be reset if you use different devices or browsers to access the site.
How to view and modify cookies through your browser